[tei-council] Commits, builds, errors and Jenkins

stuart yeates stuart.yeates at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Apr 20 00:03:41 EDT 2011

On 20/04/11 10:23, Martin Holmes wrote:
> What this means in practice is that, if there are many of us making
> changes and commits, we will only see the results of our commits (in
> terms of errors and warnings) mixed in with those from other commits
> which have happened around the same time. That will make it slightly
> more difficult to tell whether you caused an error or not, and how you
> might fix it. So I think it's probably even more important to have a
> local build environment you can use to test your changes before
> committing them. While errors can easily be undone by means of
> reverting, there is a danger that in order to do this, you might have to
> revert past other people's changes that were committed just after your own.

While I admit that this is a hypothetical danger, I'm not convinced at
how real it is, whether it's real enough that we should be worrying about.

Requiring those wanting to make textual changes to the guidelines to
have a full build environment seems like it raises technical barriers to
non-technical tasks, reducing the pool of people to do the work.

It is also possible to revert a single commit in svn, so long as it
doesn't overlap (line-for-line) with any following reversion. [Not sure
whether this is possible for GUI users.]

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates