[tei-council] Fwd: draft minutes from chicago

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 07:44:42 EDT 2011

On 18/04/11 00:52, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Group A2 (<document>):
>
> I think Brett's suggestion of<diploma>  instead of<document>  as a less
> confusing element name should be included here. It was discussed
> initially outside the formal meeting, but mentioned on the last morning.
> The idea was that<diploma>  better represents what is intended by this
> new element, and is less likely to mislead novice users, who might have
> difficulty deciding between<document>  and<text>.

I remember Brett's suggestion (and have now added it to the minutes),
but I don't remember it being discussed in any detail. If it had been, I
think I would have argued against it. To those who are aware of its
specific sense in the etymology of "diplomatics" it would indeed be an
ideal choice, but (a) I think the general sense of the word now is as a
synonym for "certificate" (b) it does suggest something on paper or
vellum rather than card stone wax tablet etc. which can't be folded!

> I thought I remembered<item>  being mooted for inclusion in att.sortable
> -- am I wrong? If it's not to be included, perhaps the reason for
> excluding it should go into the minutes.

My recollection is that we felt <item> should NOT be included, which is
why I didn't mention it in the minutes

> I thought I remembered that we wanted to use @confidence instead of
> @conf? Did I misremember? "conf" always suggests something to do with
> configuration to me.

OK, corrected.

> Group A4 (new genetic markup elements):
>
> I recall a lot of discomfort with the rather confusing intent of<undo>
> and<redo>.

Yes, added comment.