[tei-council] TEI versions of Gutenberg and Google

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 15:39:42 EDT 2011

On 18/04/11 14:52, Martin Mueller wrote:
> Has there ever been any TEI version of a Gutenberg text produced in this
> manner?  I've written to Matt Jockers to see what they've done with their
> upcoding.

Dunno Matt Jockers, but I've certainly done a fair bit of mungeing of
Gutenberg texts into TEI in my time.

The usual problem is inconsistency: sometimes they use underlines to
enclose <hi> elements; sometimes they don't. Sometimes you can figure
out the div structure from the paragraph structure, sometimes not.

It depends really on what the purpose of the exercise is.