[tei-council] FR 3106829 on <quote> and <floatingText>

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sun Apr 17 20:18:50 EDT 2011

This text is becoming clearer with each iteration.  How about this,
which I have just posted as a comment on SF:

###

It is important to distinguish the use of <floatingText> and <quote>.
Whereas the semantics of <quote> imply that its content emanates from
somewhere external to the current text, <floatingText> does not imply
this. The <floatingText> element is simply used whenever the richer
content model it provides is required to support mark up of a text or
part of a text which presented as a discrete inclusion within the text.
Such an "inclusion" might consist of a text that is perceived as
external to the document, such as a letter, enclosure, or attachment,
but it might equally well be a text that is not external to the
document, such as the text of a "musical number" that is clearly set off
from its surrounding text in the libretto of an opera.

The two elements may be used in combination: a <floatingText> may appear
within a <quote> (when a text with rich internal structure is quoted at
length), and <floatingText> may also include one or more <quote>
elements as part of its own structure, just like any text.

###

If there are any objections, please voice them in the next week.