[tei-council] wiki page on ODD: uses, future plans, and maybe history

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 11:28:08 EDT 2011

On 13/04/11 08:34, Piotr Bański wrote:
> It is news to me that the Council is contemplating abandoning ODD

I think it is more the case that we do not want to privilege ODD in our
discussion of what is needed for Son (or Daughter) of ODD. The point is
to consider what is needed and choose the best solution.  I would be
surprised, personally, if we did not decide to develop and extend ODD
rather than just using an existing schema language.  The meta-schema
language of ODD gives us a level of indirection which is beneficial (IMHO).

I added a link to the ODD-dev page on the wiki to this wiki page.

-James

> because it "remains a hybrid environment combining its own vocabulary
> with RelaxNG fragments and at times, validation vocabularies from
> external languages (e.g. Schematron)". Add to that datatypes from XSD,
> but I'm not sure that its being hybrid (exactly like RNG) and RNG-based
> is an actual accusation -- why would we need to "extend its capabilities
> to make it a self contained and generic specification language"? If
> there are plans to abandon ODD, the answer to the above seems pretty
> crucial. (The fact that RNG can combine with, a.o., XSD datatypes, and
> that it can include Schematron is listed among its virtues, not vices,
> to my knowledge.)
>
>    P.

Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,
OUCS, University of Oxford