[tei-council] definition of "genetic editing"

Stuart Yeates stuart.yeates at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Apr 13 10:56:33 EDT 2011

> I don't have a wikipedia account otherwise I would intervene myself so I'm
> asking you to remove at least any reference to phylogeny and ordered
> trees: none of the above concept apply to the definition of genetic
> editing: they can used within but they definitely do not belong to the
> definition.

The terms phylogeny, individual and gene pool are included not because
they are part of the terminology of genetic editing, but because they are
the terminology of genetics and is used to help people understand in
why "genetic editing" uses the word "genetic"

Similarly "ordered trees" is used to link a concept in genetic editing to
one in computer science.

> Genetic Editing has been defined and re-definend plenty of times so it is
> very delicate matter to do it without annoying somebody: this one of the
> reasons we did not  attempted any definition of it in our document,
> thinking that is not the role of TEI give definition scholarly product,
> but to offer support for it.

I searched on google and couldn't find a definition in the first three
pages of hits. If it's not on google, it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.
If you have a URL to a definition, I'd be more than happy to add it to the
wiki page.

I have updated the page somewhat, hopefully this is an improvement.

cheers
stuart