[tei-council] floatingText

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Wed Apr 13 00:38:18 EDT 2011

Martin (Mueller),

While I am not familiar with the works you cite, I see no reason why you
could not use <floatingText> in these cases, both according to the
current definition of the <floatingText> element in P5 and according to
our proposed revision to the last paragraph in section 4.3.2.  (Note:
for the latest version of the proposed revision, see my email from
2011-04-12 with the subject line "FR 3106829 on <quote> and
<floatingText> (was Re: (no	subject))")

More specifically, the current proposed revision to section 4.3.2 would
never prevent you from using floatingText, though it implies that you
would only use it this element cases where there was internal tagging
needed.  That is, we don't recommend its use in cases where it is not
warranted by XML syntax, though you are welcome to use it in all such
situations.  Perhaps this needs to be made more explicit.

It seems that you agree that it is simpler not to try to define or ask
people to determine what counts as an "interruption", and I don't think
any of us at this point having this "lingering sense" that you speak of.
  If anything, some may have a lingering sense that you should not use
<floatingText> for *every* quotation, as some may be tempted to do.  I
don't recall anyone caring whether the floating text seems to
"interrupt" the main text.

--Kevin

[. . .]