[tei-council] captcha for the wiki?

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Sun Mar 13 12:01:13 EDT 2011

Does Amazon enforce their policies for Mechanical Turk, I wonder? They
explicitly ban spamming or "disrupting or degrading the operation of any
website or internet service"
(https://www.mturk.com/mturk/help?helpPage=policies).

MediaWiki allows you to create a "question captcha" where the user has
to answer one or more questions to be allowed in. That might be
promising: "What two elements are normally the children of the root
'TEI' element in a TEI P5 XML document?"

David

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> We already have a captcha for account creation:
>
> http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&type=signup&returnto=Main_Page
>
> Spammers are increasingly using Mechanical Turk to pay people to solve
> these captchas, so we've got a bit of a losing battle here unless there
> is a better captcha tool than the one we're using (which is a Google
> product).  Does anyone know about such things?
>
> On 3/11/2011 8:31 AM, Piotr Bański wrote:
>> I hope this may qualify as a topic for the Council, since this a) may
>> affect the external perception of the wiki and the TEI, and b) currently
>> affects the productivity of at least two Council members ([1], [2]), and
>> the fix doesn't seem difficult.
>>
>> Spambot technology is getting better and better and we get more and more
>> quasi-intelligent spam in the wiki. A long while ago, James and I
>> discussed the possibility of having a captcha system installed in the
>> wiki[3], but nothing came out of that. Maybe now is the time. The wiki
>> has the relevant hooks, so it seems only a matter of putting those hooks
>> in action.
>>
>> I mean a captcha for when you create an account, not for individual
>> edits. Spambots are just good at creating accounts.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>>    Piotr
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Special:Log/block
>> [2] http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Special:Log/delete
>> [3]
>> http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php?title=User_talk:Piotr_Banski#Re:_Captcha
>> http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php?title=User_talk:James&oldid=4128#captcha

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA