[tei-council] looking for TEI gray literature in need of encoding

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Thu Mar 10 17:45:42 EST 2011

Colleagues,

The Department of English Language & Literature at the University of
Michigan is actively seeking internship opportunities for their
undergraduate students, so the University Library agreed to allow me to
pay an intern who will encode gray literature from the TEI Consortium
that needs archiving on the TEI website.  That is, the Council, SIGs,
and other working groups occasionally find that they produce minutes,
reports, and other documents scattered in various places, and while many
of these groups have moved to using wiki.tei-c.org instead of
www.tei-c.org for convenience of creating and editing, there may be
cases where it would be more appropriate to have a fixed TEI version of
a document for safekeeping on www.tei-c.org, uet nobody has the time to
encode these documents in TEI.

The intern begins this Friday and will work on this part-time through
the end of April or until we run out documents wanting to be encoded.  I
already have one document for her to start on -- the TEI Council meeting
minutes from Dublin -- but am looking for others.

I'm asking Council for other such documents before going to SIGs or to
TEI-L since I think it's fair to say that it's important for the TEI
Consortium to have a record of Council decisions all in one place (and
not fragmented, as the record will quickly become).

Martin, if you'd like to share this with the Board as well (in case
there are Board records in need of encoding), feel free to.

If I get too many requests, I will attempt to prioritize the work in
case she can't get through everything.

Thanks,

Kevin