[tei-council] Tite ticket - pb at facs

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Feb 24 08:35:14 EST 2011

This one (@facs on <pb/>) I must admit I have reservations about. We've
previously had discussions on TEI-L which led to the determination that
the purpose of @facs is to link an element which constitutes
_transcription_ specifically to a <zone> or a <surface> which has the
image of that transcription. Conal, the main begetter of the facsimile
module, argued this very strongly, and as a result I changed the
behaviour of the Image Markup Tool to conform with this view. In that
discussion, @corresp was identified as the mechanism for more generic
linking (which I think would include the linking of <pb/> to a page-image).

I'm surprised to see that the current version of the Guidelines has a
much more permissive interpretation of the purpose of @facs, though.
Does anyone remember how we got here from that original discussion?