[tei-council] TEI P5 1.9.0

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jan 26 11:15:09 EST 2011

On 11-01-26 06:09 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:

>>> sure. but we have many more users who are *not* Debian
>> Probably yes :-}. Could the experience gained from automating the
>> maintenance of a Debian package be used to support other platforms,
>> like MacOS?
>
> I think this is silly. We have to make the packages available in some
> form or another; Debian is as useful as any other, more useful than
> some, and we have a system more or less in place for doing it
> automatically.  If someone came out of the woodwork offering to produce
> Mac archives or Windows MSIs  that would be nice, but there's no sign of
> that happening sfaics.

I could write a Windows installer using InnoSetup. I've done a lot of
that. It's not MSI, but it ticks all the right boxes for Windows
compliance AFAIC. My installers for the Image Markup Tool, Hot Potatoes
etc. are all built with InnoSetup. It offers support for lots of
languages out of the box. It would probably be automatable (on a Windows
machine, and perhaps even on Linux with Wine -- haven't tried that).

Would this be worthwhile, do you think? What exactly would need to be
installed?

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)