[tei-council] Council meeting in April - Symposium on 11. April

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Tue Jan 18 15:03:30 EST 2011

All, allow me to offer some clarifications:

On 1/18/2011 2:51 PM, Piotr Bański wrote:
> I am not sure that mangling the web address of the doc is sufficient to
> ensure privacy and free exchange of opinions on the particular
> candidates by name, should anyone feel a need for that. After all, the
> doc is readable by anyone with the link. Or are crawlers the only concern?

This was meant to keep spambots from following a link to the document in
the tei-council archives and putting nonsense or ads in our document.  I
opened it to editing by everyone so that you could all contribute to the
plans under development without me needing to gather from all of you
your preferred email address for use with Google Docs.

> Secondly, what is the status of this proposal, please? Is there still
> time to nominate, or just to voice opinions on the possible invitees
> (what does e.g. "yes: Laurent" mean? Is that the first vote on the "aye"
> list, and are we expected to add ours?)

Yes, there is time to nominate.  Neither Laurent nor I have invited
anyone yet, and that third column (entitled "invite now?") was meant to
indicate which of us would do the inviting and whether we would do it
now or wait till later.  I have clarified the wording.  We really do
want your opinions on all of this so that the program is not entirely
compiled by Laurent and me.

> The following may betray my lack of imagination and expertise, but the
> only result I can imagine from listening to the purported advantages of
> doing text encoding in HTML over semantic vocabulary is annoyance -- I
> simply can't imagine to what positive goal this might lead.[*]

I think you're referring to the proposed topic for John Maxwell.  He did
semantic markup for years and gave up on it because he felt that it was
needlessly complicated for most publishing workflows.  See
http://thinkubator.ccsp.sfu.ca/wikis/xmlProduction/Home .  He presented
on this at last year's symposium, actually ( http://dho.ie/node/673 ).

--Kevin