[tei-council] invalid examples allowed in Guidelines?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 07:17:20 EST 2011

On 11 Jan 2011, at 11:56, James Cummings wrote:

> I'm not proposing recording other forms of rendition information
> about examples... only answering the need for some of them to
> appear fragmentary but still be valid when copied and pasted.
> Expanding that, or providing further rendition information we
> already have technologies to do.

Yes, I have no problems with this. There are many ways we could
render the bits that are added for forms sake, rather than to make
a real example (could colour them grey if they are not supposed
to be real, for instance, instead of collapsing, or put them in 6pt writing).

I just did a pass over some of the easier errors and fixed them.

Worst I found was this:

<monogr>
     <title>Proceedings of a workshop on corpus resources</title>
     <respStmt>
       <resp>Programme Organizer</resp>
       <name>Geoffrey Leech</name>
     </respStmt>
     <meeting>DTI Speech and Language Technology Club meeting, 3-4
     January 1990, Wadham College, Oxford</meeting>
   </monogr>

which looks entirely plausible, but is not - <imprint> is mandatory for
<monogr>.

As it stands, that is genuinely misleading for a reader.
 Information and Support Group Manager
Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente