[tei-council] invalid examples allowed in Guidelines?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 8 19:45:40 EST 2011

As you or may not know, every <egXML> in the Guidelines source
is checked at build time against the P5  schema. This is a good thing, of course.

While playing with validation of P5 again, I found (reminded myself) that 26
files have incomplete examples, along the lines of:

     <msDesc xml:id="DN17">
        <!-- ... -->
      </msDesc>

which is not valid because it misses the mandatory child <msIdentifier>.

Unfortunately, I cannot see a way to flag some instances <egXML>
as being deliberately incomplete.

There are four choices:

   a) fix the examples so they are minimally valid
   b) fix the build script so that this class of error is thrown away,
        which has the disadvantage of  masking genuine errors;
   c) leave the error messages in place and remember to ignore them each time
        (very confusing for the unwary)
   d) convert all these class of examples to CDATA in <eg>
        so they are not checked at all. This seems a bad precedent.

We were (until today) in a state of b).

Option a) is possible, but makes for some over-verbose examples
(eg
   <fileDesc>
         <titleStmt> <!-- ... --></titleStmt>
         <editionStmt> <!-- ... --></editionStmt>
         <extent> <!-- ... --></extent>
         <publicationStmt> <!-- ... --></publicationStmt>
         <seriesStmt> <!-- ... --></seriesStmt>
         <notesStmt> <!-- ... --></notesStmt>
         <sourceDesc><!-- ... --></sourceDesc>
    </fileDesc>
would need expanding a lot)

This was discussed a few years ago but since I have the patient open
on the operating table, I'd welcome some current options on the
proper way to proceed.
Information and Support Group Manager, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente