[tei-council] FR nuncles: new element tei:objectType

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 10:17:56 EST 2011

On 05/01/11 14:41, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> the ambiguity thing bothers me, but then I think of
> <placeName>Newport</placeName>  and stop worrying about it.

Eh? surely we have both placeName and place precisely to avoid an ambiguity?

> <objectType>  says unamiguously to me that it marks up
> the word which provides the typology of the "current"  object.

ah, I think not. it says to me "my content represents some type of
object" . If it's inside some element which says "my content describes
some specific object", then it might or might not tell me about that
object's type. It might say "once believed to be a
<objectType>hawk</objectType>, now known to be a
<objectType>handsaw</objectType>" however

> if the element can only be used in the context of an object, fine,
> but if it can also be used in  general context, it matters.
>
> but I do stress that this is not a resigning matter for me, I'll
> not mention it again if we choose<objectType>

likewise, I'm sure :-)