[tei-council] FR nuncles: new element tei:objectType

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 12:16:14 EST 2011

On 04/01/11 17:11, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2011, at 17:03, Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>> As already noted on the ticket, the trouble with "object" is that (to my
>> eyes at least) it is ambiguous between a specific object ("Excalibur")
>> and a class of objects ("ceremonial swords"), in a way that "material"
>> generally isn't.
>

> true, I can see why the Type was added. But it still jars the eye, considerably.
>
> <form>  would be analogous to<material>. Excalibur is made of metal
> in the form of a sword.

"form" would be better I agree, but it's already taken vide sup.

There is precedent for re-appropriation of element names of course (cf
"event" which had been snaffled by the spoken text module before we
decided it made more sense in namesdates). Or we could argue that the
two senses of "form" are so closely related it's perfectly ok to use it
for either a dictionary word form or an object form. Good luck writing
the <desc> to convey that.