[tei-council] editorial services

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 15 18:36:16 EST 2010

On 15 Dec 2010, at 22:58, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> We should be careful to split "source updates" into two activities: (a)
> editing prose when specific revisions are not spelled out in a ticket or
> other proposal adopted by Council and (b) making prose and schema
> changes to the ODDs in SourceForge.

you are distinguishing the running prose from the reference
material? They are different skills, I agree; but I would
make other distinctions too - eg between changes which
involve simple additions or subtractions, and ones which
involve class manipulation and understand the changes which
may result in a DTD/schema.

there's a lot of technical writing skill in making ref documentation,
I would claim

> For the newcomers to Council: while "nuncle" as a noun has certain
> meanings in British English, it has come to be used in Council to be
> used as a verb for "to steward".  If this usage sticks (and I hope it
> doesn't

amen to that. I think its a horrible word!

> Incidentally, Lou said that the TEI hosts are to be called TEI partners.
>  Didn't see that in the proposed Bylaw revisions.

the change was made at the Board meeting to introduce
this concept.

> And, incidentally,
> we heard on TEI-L that since quorum was not reached on the vote by TEI
> member institutions, the Board at its meeting in Zadar adopted those
> changes it could make on its own without needing approval by members.

which was, in fact, more or less everything. no serious decisions were
left unattended, I believe (and if you wonder why I comment, its
because I attended the first part of the meeting, unexpectedly)

> Will the Bylaws be updated on tei-c.org to reflect what changes were in
> fact made at that meeting in Zadar?

undoubtedly!
Information and Support Group Manager, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente