[tei-council] update from the TEI Tite task force

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Mon Dec 13 22:08:58 EST 2010

Colleagues, a happy holiday season to you.

A brief report on progress by the task force that Laurent charged with
aligning the TEI Tite schema maintained by Council (and hosted on
tei-c.org) with that in use by Apex CoVantage in the AccessTEI program.
  Recall that the task force members are:

* Perry Trolard (author of Tite and representative of the Mellon-funded
project that created Tite)
* Greg Spurlock (of Apex CoVantage)
* Kevin Hawkins (of the TEI Council)

I've copied Perry and Greg on this message for their information, but
please remember that they won't receive messages sent only to
tei-council and likewise can't post to the list themselves.

First some notes on aligning the two versions and then on additional
changes to consider making (to both versions).

= Aligning the two versions =

Before AccessTEI was launched, Apex reviewed Tite 1.0 closely and
provided a number of suggestions to Dan O'Donnell (perhaps also directly
to others), which were passed along to Laurent and Lou in February 2010.
  These changes were deemed uncontroversial, so no Council vote was held
on them; instead, Apex was allowed to implement them.

Perry shared a summary of these with me, and I have entered them into
SourceForge for our consideration.  If we implement them, we will bring
the Council's Tite closer in line with Apex's derived version.

1. removing a bunch of unnecesary elements and attributes:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3136934&group_id=106328&atid=644062

(includes as a comment one more change discovered by Lou, not by Apex)

2. adding <add> and <del>:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3136935&group_id=106328&atid=644065

3. Adding @facs to <pb/>:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3136936&group_id=106328&atid=644065

For (2) and (3), apparently Lou provided some notes in February that
provide the basis for changes to the prose to accompany these schema
changes.  If someone can find these, we will save ourselves time in
redoing this work.

In addition, Dan mentioned in May that while we met in Dublin, he
received the last set of suggestions from Apex.  Requests to Dan and
Apex to see these have not yielded anything, but I would like to find
these and add these items to SourceForge before the Council begins
considering the other tickets in SourceForge that I have created dealing
with issues I have discovered on my own that are problems with both
versions of Tite.  If someone can provide these to me, I'll be grateful.

Once we get these documents incorporated into SourceForge tickets, we
can have a Council vote (or call for objections) and then ask the Oxford
editorial team to implement these changes.

= Additional changes to make =

The other bug reports and feature requests in SourceForge are about
things that I detected in both canonical Tite on tei-c.org and in the
Apex Tite documentation.  While a few people have commented on them, I
think we should wrap up all of the issues already identified first in
order to make the schema in use by Apex identical (in theory) to the
latest version at tei-c.org.  *Then* we can discuss ways in which both
are deficient.

Questions?  Comments?

Kevin