[tei-council] Anybody have experience with 15-16 people on a Skype call?

O'Donnell, Dan daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Oct 25 13:51:16 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Currently I donate a teleconference service to the TEI for conference
calls. When I first subscribed, it was used by various groups almost
weekly (I also donated it to Digital Medievalist and used it for my own
projects). Nowadays, just about the only people who use it are Council.

With improvements to Skype and the arrival of Google Voice, I'm
beginning to wonder if it is worth maintaining. According to some blogs
I've read, Skype can now handle up to 25 callers (e.g.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/skype-conference-call-how-to-make-skype-conference-call.html),
although some things I've read suggest that that is only using Windows
clients. Google voice seems to be able to handle a max of 4 people at
the moment.

Does anybody have experience using Skype for calls with groups about the
size of Council--say 15-16 people all told? Is it robust enough that I
could consider dropping my account at Hi-Speed Conferencing?

-dan

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidential)