[tei-council] copy of message added to ticket 2994685 - att.global

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 09:34:49 EDT 2010

On 20 Oct 2010, at 14:21, Lou Burnard wrote:

> Did your discussion touch on what the advantages of special casing the
> global attribute class might be? or don't you see that there are any?

sorry, I forgot to note that yes, there are arguments in favour of fixed global
attributes (any TEI encoder can always be sure they add @id and @lang);
but in that case we must retract the ability to remove them
(which can easily be done at present). Stopping them being removed
requires even more magic juju in the processing. At present they
are magic but also vulnerable.

the alternative is to add a boolean attribute @changeable to *Spec,
so that the magic is more explicit and traceable.

> I note that we also have a so-called model.global which isn't actually
> global, precisely because it's not special-cased of course.

 true. surely another argument against att.global….
 Information and Support Group Manager
Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente