[tei-council] Fwd: bug report for Council, if you like

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 4 15:53:46 EDT 2010

On 10-10-04 12:43 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> as noted before using data.numeric would be consistent with
> svg:points and also with what we currently allow for coordinate
> points on zone etc. so i say go for that.

Right. So the only remaining question is one Sebastian raised, and which
I couldn't find the answer to in our previous correspondence: do we:

a) Require that the last component of a polygon be identical to the
first, thus closing the polygon, and deem the attribute value invalid if
this is not the case; or

b) Deem any attribute value whose final coordinate is not identical to
its first to be closed anyway, thus assuming the existence of the final
point where it is not explicit; or

c) Allow that some shapes may not be closed (in other words, they may be
paths), and therefore assume that any shape not explicitly closed is open.

Thoughts? My instinct is to be permissive and choose c), but then we
have the issue of possible conflict between the definition of a <zone>
and the idea of a path. That's somewhat moot anyway, because the current
definition of a <zone> is inconsistent with @points:

<zone> defines a rectangular area contained within a surface  element.

In view of this, I think @points should be defined as three or more

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)