[tei-council] Fwd: bug report for Council, if you like

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 4 13:11:04 EDT 2010

I believe I've dredged up the history of this. On the TEI Graphics SIG,
in April, I posted this:

[quote]
HI all,

Yesterday I worked out a simple regular expression to validate the
content of the proposed @points:

[\d]+,[\d]+([\s]+[\d]+,[\d]+){2,}

meaning:

each point consists of two integers separated by a comma; a points value
consists of three or more of these points, separated by a whitespace.

However, going back to look at the specification for @svg:points, which
was our original model, I realize that it allows negative values as well
as positive, and floating-point values as well as integers.

Since @ulx and friends are defined as data.numeric, which also allows
negatives and floating-point numbers, it would make sense to me that
@points allows this too. This is the definition of data.numeric:

data.numeric =
     xsd:double | token { pattern = "(\-?[\d]+/\-?[\d]+)" } | xsd:decimal

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-data.numeric.html>

In view of this, I think @points should be defined as three or more
instances of data.numeric, separated by whitespace. What do you think?
[/quote]

So it seems that I'm the source of the erroneous regexp, but in fact I
wasn't proposing that it be adopted; I favoured using three+ instances
of data.numeric instead. Both Sebastian and Conal agreed with this.
However, on the SF feature request discussion, this doesn't seem to have
been considered (presumably my fault -- I did include my faulty regexp
in the discussion, but neglected to bring over the resulting discussion
from the GRAPHICS SIG.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)