[tei-council] <subst> (sf ticket 2859355)

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 29 10:52:38 EDT 2010

On 29/09/2010 13:37, James Cummings wrote:

> (to steal Gaby's example), then surely this small amount of text
> might be subject to most of the pPart.transcriptional or indeed
> pPart.edit elements? i.e. the original might have said 'sius'
> instead of 'suis' and I want to correct it with<sic>  or<corr>
> (or indeed a<choice>), it might be that the 'ui' of 'suis' is
> partly illegible so I want<unclear>  or any number of other
> things.  I would agree, however, that providing<app>  is clearly
> lunacy (since the better way is to have the subst inside the
> <rdg>).   I'm, not entirely convinced by my line of argument here
> myself, but think it worth discussing.

Oh, I *am* completely convinced by your argument here (in fact it is
precisely the point I was going to make if I'd had the time before now).
if we allow any plain text inside <subst> at all (as we have decided to
do), then that text will want to be tagged in all sorts of ways (maybe
even as <w> or <name> for example), as well as with all the
transcriptional tags that James mentions above.

If we don't allow this, then having text in <subst> is (a) not all that
useful, and (b) not enough, since we also need to be able, as suggested
I think by Syd, to link two or more separate <add> and/or <del> tags as
a single action, since the new expanded <subst> won't always be possible.

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher, Digital Classicist, Pirate)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL