[tei-council] multiple namespaces in Tite documents

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 26 13:08:58 EDT 2010

On 26 Sep 2010, at 18:00, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> sure, if you are using a RELAX NG schema, all bets are off and you
>> can do it how you like, with or without prefixes.
>
> Huh.  <oXygen/> XML Editor 10.0 (build 2008120916) wouldn't let me!

wouldn't let you do what?

> I realize the prefix can be arbitrary, but if we prescribe use of a
> particular one, we reduce barriers to interchange of Tite documents.

I don't see why. If you say <tomato:b> and I say <potato:b>,
and the prefixes are bound to the same ns, we are interchangeable.
Only in the case where you attempted to process the XML files
using non-XML tools might you have problems.

don't forget that namespace prefixes can be, and are, rewritten
or thrown away by XML processing tools. You have no guarentee
they will stay as you wrote them.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente