[tei-council] multiple namespaces in Tite documents

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 26 12:39:40 EDT 2010

On 26 Sep 2010, at 17:31, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> Right, I was speaking about using a RelaxNG schema.

sure, if you are using a RELAX NG schema, all bets are off and you
can do it how you like, with or without prefixes.

> While vendors do prefer DTDs, I believe we should make the Tite
> documentation not only vendor-agnostic but also technology-agnostic,
> like P5.  So this question is a sort of general policy one.

we can't have a policy, I fear, about namespace prefixes, because
it s not enforceable. some people like prefixes, others don't.

amusing to read that James Clark thinks this is the greatest mistake
that XML made :-}

>  I believe
> Tite is the first time since the introduction of the namespace mechanism
> in P5 the TEI has declared elements outside of the TEI namespace, so I
> want to think through the question of how to best document these things.

is it different from the MathML or SVG or RELAX inclusions. tho?

> Still, is there any sense in prescribing a namespace -- the string
> before the colon, not the URI where the namespace is documented

Well, no. Sorry. them's the rules. The namespace prefix is an arbitrary
convenience-only  binding of a namespace
(which is definitely NOT, by the way, "the URI where the namespace is documented"!)

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente