[tei-council] multiple namespaces in Tite documents

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 26 12:37:03 EDT 2010

On 26/09/10 17:31, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> Still, is there any sense in prescribing a namespace -- the string
> before the colon, not the URI where the namespace is documented -- for
> these elements to be used in your XML documents?

First let's get the terminology right. The thing before the colon is a
namespace prefix. The URI is the name of the namespace.

Mandating a specific namespace prefix seems like a rather bad idea to
me. Using the same one consistently in examples however is perfectly
reasonably

I see this situation
> as different from people including, say, SVG elements in their TEI
> documents because the TEI-C maintains both of the following:
>
> http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0
> http://www.tei-c.org/ns/tite/1.0

Personally I'd be much happier if we were able to roll Tite into the
main TEI and not have this distinction at all. But that's for future work.