[tei-council] multiple namespaces in Tite documents

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sun Sep 26 12:31:30 EDT 2010

Thanks for the quick response.  Notes below ...

On 9/26/2010 12:22 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2010, at 17:13, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>
>> The Tite ODD introduces a few elements not in the TEI namespace, such as
>> namespaces here:
>>
>> <text xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0"
>> xmlns:tite="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/tite/1.0" xml:id="foo">
>
> that's one way of declaring the Tite namespace. however, if you then
> use (eg)<tite:b>, it will not validate against the DTD (which, we
> were assured, is what the vendors like to use).

Right, I was speaking about using a RelaxNG schema.  Since Roma mixes
elements from various namespaces into the DTD, you can't use namespaces
there.

While vendors do prefer DTDs, I believe we should make the Tite
documentation not only vendor-agnostic but also technology-agnostic,
like P5.  So this question is a sort of general policy one.  I believe
Tite is the first time since the introduction of the namespace mechanism
in P5 the TEI has declared elements outside of the TEI namespace, so I
want to think through the question of how to best document these things.

>> For clarity, shouldn't definitions of elements from this namespace
>> include this namespace on the element name?
>

> no. there is no such concept of including a namespace on the element name.

Okay, that makes sense.

Still, is there any sense in prescribing a namespace -- the string
before the colon, not the URI where the namespace is documented -- for
these elements to be used in your XML documents?  I see this situation
as different from people including, say, SVG elements in their TEI
documents because the TEI-C maintains both of the following:

http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0
http://www.tei-c.org/ns/tite/1.0

whereas we don't maintain

http://www.w3.org/2000/svg