[tei-council] Vote early for ticket tidyup (part 1)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 08:40:46 EDT 2010

On 14 Sep 2010, at 12:40, James Cummings wrote:

> done in a piecemeal un-resourced manner.TEI-C seems to believe it
> isn't in the job of producing software but then so much of the
> infrastructure of it is built on software

there's three sorts of software involved

  a) what the TEI needs to create its deliverables. so we MUST have
an ODD processor to create stuff the P5 source.

  b) what the TEI provides to help you use the Gidlines better or at all, ie Roma

  c) tools that many TEIers  like, but don't all need or agree on. eg Martin's
lovely image tool

between b) and c) are things like my TEI --> ePub, which are nice
if you want them, but not essential; but which share an infrastructure
with the ODD tools in a)

> Or am I deluded
> here and is TEI-C already funding the development of Roma and
> Stylesheets, etc?

yes, it is. The editorial project is supposed to make sure the basic
ODD tools work, and the Oxford Host contribution is stylesheet
and similar tool maintenance.

I don't say its satisfactory but its a start. The council can and should
keep a closer eye on all this, and have a better strategic plan, I would suggest

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente