[tei-council] TEI for publishing: archival or interchange format? (was Re: What's next on the TEI publishing thread)

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Wed Sep 1 14:51:35 EDT 2010

On 8/31/2010 4:48 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 31 Aug 2010, at 21:30, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>

>> Since I wrote most of the prose of the "call to action" in Google Docs,
>> let me try to clarify what I meant.  Sebastian thought that the call to
>> action is proposing TEI as an output format for sharing with users,
>
> not quite. I meant was it the format from which the readonly formats like
> HTML and ePub are derived. I was distinguishing between the genuine
> archive format (with all the markup, metadata and goodness) and the interchange format
> from which one can make the output formats. Maybe the distinction is false, however
>
> But I would never propose TEI as a format for users, sorry :-}

Okay, I understand now.  I have not been making such a distinction,
which is why I conflated "archive" and "pivot point" in my document.  I
avoided using the term "interchange format" because I find it ambiguous:
you use it as pivot point, whereas to me it sounds a bit like an output
format.

I have revised to leave more wiggle room:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARyxZGtPbrQ1ZHYzZHg3aF8xNmZyYjR3emY4

Is this better?

Kevin