[tei-council] TEI for publishing: archival or interchange format? (was Re: What's next on the TEI publishing thread)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 31 16:48:43 EDT 2010

On 31 Aug 2010, at 21:30, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> Since I wrote most of the prose of the "call to action" in Google Docs,
> let me try to clarify what I meant.  Sebastian thought that the call to
> action is proposing TEI as an output format for sharing with users,

not quite. I meant was it the format from which the readonly formats like
HTML and ePub are derived. I was distinguishing between the genuine
archive format (with all the markup, metadata and goodness) and the interchange format
from which one can make the output formats. Maybe the distinction is false, however

But I would never propose TEI as a format for users, sorry :-}

> don't think we can compete with EPUB and HTML as linguas francas.  (Is
> that the plural of "lingua franca"?)
linguae francae

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente