[tei-council] What's next on the TEI publishing thread

Laurent Romary laurent.romary at inria.fr
Fri Aug 27 07:07:04 EDT 2010

Le 26 août 10 à 19:02, Sebastian Rahtz a écrit :

> looks good to me.
>
> one sentence jarred: "The TEI Council would like to see the TEI
> adopted more widely as an archival format". There is a slight mixed
> message here - we want them to use TEI in their digital publishing
> workflow, but that may not be the same as their archival format.

Agree. We may want to tune a clearer message. The idea is to have the
TEI as a more long-standing formats than proprietary or domain
specific solutions.

> I _think_ we are saying we will define a customization which is
> guarenteed to be suitable for generating general-purpose
> epublications, somewhat equivalent to Tite, and we wlll develop and
> promote exemplar tools and transformations?

Ideally yes.

> This is much on the minds at the moment of those of us in Oxford, as
> we are coming to the end of local development on
> a document conversion web service, based on the Enrich Garage (we
> call it OxGarage). It accepts upload of typical
> formats (word processor, TEI XML, etc), and generates output as
> requested (TEI, docx, epub, odt, latex, pdf, html), using as many
> stages
> as needed behind the scenes. It also accepts ODD input and can spit
> out schemas,  documentation etc; it even does Docbook to TEI
> conversion, and I think adding NLM to TEI would not be hard (or any
> other textual transformation you have to hand)

You mean, the ultimate Vesta?
As to NLM, Martin and I have quite a bunch of stylesheets (Martin has
TEI2NLM and I have NLM2TEI; plus a bunch of additional publisher
formats). How can we proceed with this?

> In a separate thread  I am asking about hosting a copy of Oxgarage
> at Virginia to demonstrate. This would provide a convenient testbed
> for the SIG's outputs?

Good.

> If I understood iptables, I'd open up our local test server now and
> point you at it, but I need to talk to someone clever first

I thought you were such a person!

> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Information Manager, Oxford University Computing Services
>
> Sólo le pido a Dios
> que el futuro no me sea indiferente

Laurent Romary
INRIA & HUB-IDSL