[tei-council] ODD headers and licensing terms for customizations provided by TEI-C

O'Donnell, Dan daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Aug 9 16:35:54 EDT 2010

I'll check that their understanding is the same as mine, which is it is
licenced the same way Lite is.

-dan

On 10-08-09 02:31 AM, Laurent Romary wrote:
> I would follow Sebastian here.
> @Dan: could you check that John U would agree on having the same
> licensing scheme attached to Tite?
> Laurent
>
> Le 8 août 10 à 20:05, Sebastian Rahtz a écrit :
>

>> the hand-rolled customizations say
>>
>>       <availability status="free">
>>              hereby authorised to copy, modify, and redistribute it in
>>              any way without further reference or permissions.</p>
>>              recommended to change the present text to include an
>>              accurate statement of the licencing conditions applicable
>>              to your modified text.</p>
>>            </availability>
>>
>> ie effectively putting then in the public domain. for the trivial
>> ones like tei_all, this seems right. The wording was from Syd.
>>
>> I have changed Lite to use the same statement (GPL) as the main
>> Guidelines,
>> as that too seems the obvious course to take.
>>
>> Tite is less clear. It seems to be the work mainly of Perry T
>> working for John U,
>> but I hope they would agree the copyright belongs to the TEI C. I
>> would
>> strongly suggest it was work paid for and commissioned by TEIC
>> (using Mellon's
>> money).
>>
>> Simplest thing to do would be to bang a GPL 2 on Tite too, if folks
>> agree.
>>
>> Talking of TEI Tite, what has happened to the updates that were said
>> to be
>> needed to the ODD and its generated schemas? The round of changes to
>> ODD which enabled ODD_by_inclusion rather than ODD_by_exclusion
>> have not been used by Tite yet, for which they are the archetypal
>> example.
>> --
>> Sebastian Rahtz
>> Information Manager, Oxford University Computing Services
>> 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN. Phone +44 1865 283431
>>
>> Sólo le pido a Dios
>> que el futuro no me sea indiferente

> Laurent Romary
> INRIA&  HUB-IDSL
> laurent.romary at inria.fr

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Professor of English
University of Lethbridge

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidential)