[tei-council] soft hyphens (again)

Dot Porter dot.porter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 12:43:14 EDT 2010

Kevin, if you look at the entries for both <gap/> and <space/> in the
elements index you'll see that both of these may contain certainty etc.

http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-space.html
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-gap.html

If your schema isn't letting you act on this there may be a bug in the
system, or perhaps your schema doesn't include the certainty module.

Dot

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Kevin Hawkins <
kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info> wrote:

> >> Which TEI-L query is this?
> >

> http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1006&L=TEI-L&T=0&F=&S=&P=7480
> >
> >> <lb/>   is an empty element, so we can't put certainty inside it without
> >> changing its content model (and that of<cb/>   and<pb/>.
> >
> > Yes, that's exactly my point. So-called empty elements such as<gap/>
> > and<space/>  can now contain the certainty family, and it's very
> > valuable (especially in [semi-]automated editing environments) to be
> > able to attach certainty to a specific element like this by position,
> > without having to worry about generated as @xml:id. By the same token,
> > it might make sense to use certainty inside the milestoneLike elements
> > to indicate specifically things like
> > type="weDontKnowIfThisIsAWordBreakOrNot".
>
> I'm afraid I still don't understand.  Are these elements no longer empty
> elements?  They still appear that way even in Sebastian's test release.
>  When did this change happen?
>
> Kevin

Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
Digital Medievalist, Digital Librarian