[tei-council] soft hyphens (again)

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 11:45:38 EDT 2010

On 21/06/2010 16:02, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> I'm afraid I still don't understand.  Are these elements no longer empty
> elements?  They still appear that way even in Sebastian's test release.
>    When did this change happen?

Which elements? <gap/> (always an "empty"--i.e. permitting no
text-content--element), has taken a child <desc> ever since P5 first
release; <space/> for some reason did not, although it does now. Both
also take <certainty/>, <precision/> etc. It makes sense to me that a
so-called empty element could contain another non-text-bearing element
such as <certainty/>, which in this case serves as a much richer
analogue to a cert attribute.

At the moment, of course, <lb/> and the other milestoneLike elements are
still literally empty, but I am arguing (lightly, as I don't have a
specific use-case for them) that they could just as rationally be
allowed to take a child from the certainty class, although still no text
content, of course.

Sorry if this was confusing.

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher, Digital Classicist, Pirate)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL