[tei-council] soft hyphens (again)

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 09:50:13 EDT 2010

http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1006&L=TEI-L&T=0&F=&S=&P=7480

> <lb/>  is an empty element, so we can't put certainty inside it without
> changing its content model (and that of<cb/>  and<pb/>.

Yes, that's exactly my point. So-called empty elements such as <gap/>
and <space/> can now contain the certainty family, and it's very
valuable (especially in [semi-]automated editing environments) to be
able to attach certainty to a specific element like this by position,
without having to worry about generated as @xml:id. By the same token,
it might make sense to use certainty inside the milestoneLike elements
to indicate specifically things like
type="weDontKnowIfThisIsAWordBreakOrNot".

(I'll return to the other query later today, if I can find a minute...)

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher, Digital Classicist, Pirate)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL