[tei-council] soft hyphens (again)

Lou lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 12:06:52 EDT 2010

Yes, I agree that @type=uncertain isn't much use if what we really mean
is "@type="I'm_uncertain_whether_this_is_a_word_break_or_not"

The problem is that we've appropriated the very general typology which
@type provides for a very specific function. If we wanted to
characterise linebreaks in some *other* respect than whether or not they
coincided with word boundaries, we'd need to add other values
("authorial" and "scribal" suggest themselves as possible candidates)
and then "uncertain" becomes *really* uncertain... and in any case we
couldn't support multiple values  -- it might be both "inWord" and
"authorial" (or whatever). Yuk. It's yet another example of for why
@type shouldn't be global and why its values should be mutually exclusive.

I can only think of two possible solutions to this. No, make it three.

1. come up with a better word than "uncertain" for the third case (wbsu
or wordBreakStatusUnknown?)

2. use a different attribute @wordBreaking = "true|false|unknown"

3. redefine the semantics of @type="wordBreaking" to mean just "this is
probably a word breaker but possibly not"

Solutions 1 and 3 have the advantage of leaving things more or less
unchanged for the only people I am aware of who actually care about this
problem i.e. epigraphers. Solution 2 has the advantage of being more
explicit and elegant, but I wouldn't want it to replace the status quo
for obvious reasons of backwards compatibility.

Votes?