[tei-council] soft hyphens (again)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Jun 15 11:51:57 EDT 2010

Looking again at this, I'm struck also by what strikes you: the <lb/> is
not the hyphen, and if we're trying to encode information about the
hyphen, the <lb/> seems to be the wrong place to do it.

I'd really prefer a container tag which encloses the hyphen and implies
(for at least one rendering scenario) a linebreak. But I don't know what
that tag should be. In the case of the three examples:

(A) This is not a run-<lb/>on sentence.

(This is just a line-break, isn't it? The hyphen is incidental.)

(B) UTF-8 is a char<someTag type="breakInWord">-</someTag>acter encoding
for Unicode.

(The processor can decide whether to render the hyphen, depending on
whether it's rendering the linebreaks or not; tokenizers can ignore the
tag completely.)

(C) Some people say TEI is a mark-<lb/>up language. OR

(C) Some people say TEI is a mark<someTag
type="breakInWord">-</someTag>up language.

(If it's impossible to decide, then perhaps some kind of <choice>
structure would be appropriate.)