[tei-council] soft hyphens (again)

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Tue Jun 15 11:25:44 EDT 2010

I'm resending this message with fewer typos and more context.

***

I brought the folks revising the *Best Practices for TEI in Libraries*
up to speed on our hyphenation discussion.  Perry Willett raised a good
point: if we have encoding like:

(A) This is not a run-<lb type="betweenWords"/>on sentence.

(B) UTF-8 is a char-<lb type="inWord"/>acter encoding for Unicode.

(C) Some people say TEI is a mark-<lb type="uncertain"/>up language.

One might read (C) as if the encoder is sure whether a line break really
occurs here.  We're using an attribute of one element to describe the
character that appears before it.

Lou suggested these three type values (see excerpt from his message
below), but I think we might need a better value for @type in (C).
Suggestions?

The Best Practices team is trying to finish revising the prose by the
beginning of July so that we have a stable basis for creating ODD specs.
  So I'd be grateful for a response soon (especially from Lou).

Kevin