[tei-council] soft hyphens (again)

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Tue Jun 8 17:44:30 EDT 2010

I brought the folks revising the *Best Practices for TEI in Libraries*
up to speed on our hyphenation discussion.  Perry Willett raised a good
point: if we have encoding like:

(A) This is not a run-<lb type="betweenWords"/>on sentence.

(B) UTF-8 is a char-<lb type="inWord"/>acter encoding for Unicode.

(C) Some people say TEI is a mark-<lb type="uncertain"/>up language.

One might read (C) as if the encoder is sure whether a line break really
occurs here.  We're using an attribute of one element to describe the
character that appears before it.

The suggested these three type values (based in part on what's given in
the definition of <lb>, but I think we might need a better value for
@type in (C).  Suggestions?

Kevin