[tei-council] @source urns and @version datatype bug

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 18 07:32:40 EDT 2010

Lou Burnard wrote:
> 3. We could make a distinction between "version" and "release" and have
> two attributes -- so release 1.2.0 of P5 would be @version="5" and
> @release=1.2.0. Or we could use a different four number pattern for
> @version and allow 5.1.2.0

For the record, I don't really have a problem with 5.1.2.1 as a TEI
version number. i.e. I don't mind there being 4 parts.  Also long as wel
announce this change, make sure the version number is displayed on the
webpages and sourceforge like this, etc.  I just want us be consistent
over all places the TEI version is displayed and also not do special
eliding of the last two digits.

I have to say my preferences align with Dan's in this case, 4 digit
number or if lots of argument against that, two attributes.  I'm not
really bothered about which solution is chosen as long as we are
consistent and remember to implement it this time. ;-)

> 4. This matters because we need to decide on a single way of refering to
> specific releases/versions which is now possible using the @source
> attribute on ODD *Ref elements

Yes. DavidS and I proposed a method for canonical URLs for release
packages on the website.  I've got a copy of this with me and will
re-read it and after discussion with DavidS might re-propose something
specifically in this area.

-James