[tei-council] @source urns and @version datatype bug

O'Donnell, Dan daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon May 17 14:24:51 EDT 2010

Hi James,

I vaguely remember this discussion. I was a fan of 5.x.x but lost, as I
remember (though apparently not in practice). I have a couple of
questions/comments about this:

1) Does this mean that 5.1.2.2 is impossible? (i.e. is there some
enforcement on the idea that you can only have two periods and three
sets of digits)
2) My problem with your suggestion "Thus someone could use 1.2.3 for
@version on unicodeName but P5:1.2.3 on TEI or indeed 1.2 or 1, or 3.11,
or 3.4.5, etc." is that the stripped form on unicodeName is missing some
pretty crucial information: the "edition" number. How would distinguish
between unicodeName/@version="1.2.3" from P4 or (god help us, P6) from
unicodeName/@version="1.2.3" from P5? It would be like referring to
Ubuntu release .4

I agree with you that 1.2.34 when you want to say 1.2.3.4 is terrible as
well. But it sounds like we might be constrained by datatypes?

On 10-05-15 11:51 AM, James Cummings wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Lou checked in some changes recently to the TD chapter and the TEI
> elementSpec as a result of the earlier discussion on schemaSpec/@source
> and the TEI/@version attribute.  One of them struck me as just
> unintuitive and unclear for users so I wanted to highlight it.  I've
> already discussed it with Lou and I believe understand his reasons (for
> which I have a certain sympathy), but wanted to comment on it because of
> its implications.
>
> At lines 1174-1188 of
> http://tei.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tei/trunk/P5/Source/Guidelines/en/TD-DocumentationElements.xml?revision=7524&view=markup
> It says:
>
> ====
> as in the preceding example, or any other form of URI. A set of
> TEI-conformant specifications in a form directly usable by an ODD
> processor must be available at the location indicated. When no
> <att>source</att>  value is supplied, an ODD processor may either raise
> an error or assume that the location of the current release of the TEI
> Guidelines is intended.</p>
> the form recommended is<code>tei:x.y.z</code>, where
> <code>x.y.z</code>  indicates the version number,
> e.g.<code>tei:5.1</code>  for the most recent version of P5 release 1,
> or<code>tei:5.2.11</code>  for release 2.1.1 of P5. When such a
> URI is used, it may be necessary to  remove or translate it before
> such a file can be used in blind interchange.
> ====
>
> What I'm uncomfortable with is the eliding of the last two digits of our
> published version numbers to form 5.2.11 from TEI P5 version 2.1.1 in
> the example given. This seems unintuitive and a very non-standard way to
> treat version numbers.  (We are currently on 1.6.0 and this is on every
> HTML page of the Guidelines.)
>
> In addition I'm reluctant to call TEI P5 version 2.1.1 version '5' dot
> anything. By that I mean that mentally I separate TEI major releases
> (editions) and version numbering which I view as integral to an edition.
> (i.e. For TEI P6 we may also have a version 2.1.1, and Lou would
> sensibly number this 6.2.11 whereas I would number this P6 2.1.1).
> Moreover when we move from 1.9.x to 2.0.x I seem to remember us deciding
> that this would indicate a major change release, not as significant as
> moving to P6, but significant nonetheless. Partly I worry about this
> because we may indeed soon have a TEI P5 versions where the second
> numeral of the 1.6.0 version number will be in double-digits and that
> might cause even more confusion when eliding digits because we have
> referred to releases occasionally where we have dropped the
> minor-release number at the end. (e.g. we refer to 1.0, 0.9, 0.5, etc.)
>
> I recognise Lou's desire here in providing a straightforward tei: URN,
> but in this case I'd be more tempted to suggest this should be
> tei:p5:2.1.1 so in the form of 'project':'edition':'version'.

> [...]

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Professor of English
University of Lethbridge

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidential)