[tei-council] @source urns and @version datatype bug

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon May 17 12:45:52 EDT 2010

I don't think this is a minor issue at all; I think it's essential that
the policy on version numbering for TEI be clear and clearly documented.
It's the sort of thing that will dictate processing pathways for
automated processes.

I think I'm with Lou on this one: I think "P5" should be an informal
human designation for the 5.x tree, and I favour
"major.minor.build.revision" or "major.minor.build.release" for the four
components. We should encourage people to include full version numbers
in the TEI/@version of their data files if they know them, but in many
cases, this is going to be impossible. If I encode a lot of data using a
schema generated with 5.1.20, then update my schema to 5.2.0, but the
update doesn't change the validity status of my files, should I have to
change all my data files?

So perhaps we should encourage a more generic:

<TEI version="5">

where it's not practical or helpful to be more precise about the version
number.