[tei-council] bibliog doc

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu May 13 18:30:04 EDT 2010

Hi Lou,

In this bit:

On 10-05-13 02:03 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> <!--While<gi>biblStruct</gi>  offers enough
> flexibility for encoding bibliographic references to simple print
> works, for many documents, especially electronic ones, it proves
> problematic.-->  <!-- no problems presented -->

I presume you mean that you're excising that part of our text because no
problems have been presented to the council. We had a long discussion
about this in our little committee, and talked about a number of
problems, but there wasn't time to raise them at the Council meeting. I
have lots of examples of situations in which it's virtually impossible
to write an XSLT routine to format a <biblStruct> according to a style
guide, without absolutely special-casing it. Here's one:

Brief Discours pour la reformation des mariages. Paris, de l’imprimerie
d’Anthoine du Brueil, rue Saint-Jacques, au dessus de Saint-Benoist, à
la Couronne, 1614, dans Variétés Historiques et Littéraires. Recueil de
pièces volantes rares et curieuses en prose et en vers, éd. É. Fournier,
Paris, P. Jannet, 1856, t. IV.

[Book (monograph) with no author, originally printed in 1614, collected
as part of volume 4 of a series published in 1856.]

Here's the <bibl>:

<bibl type="book" subtype="monograph" xml:id="brief_discours_1614">
<title level="m">Brief Discours pour la reformation des
mariages</title>. <pubPlace>Paris</pubPlace>, de l’imprimerie
d’<publisher>Anthoine du Brueil</publisher>, rue Saint-Jacques, au
dessus de Saint-Benoist, à la Couronne, <date when="1614">1614</date>,
dans <title level="m">Variétés Historiques et Littéraires. Recueil de
pièces volantes rares et curieuses en prose et en vers</title>, éd.
<biblScope type="vol">t. IV</biblScope>.
</bibl>

It's easy enough to create a <biblStruct> for this, but it's extremely
hard for generic XSLT to detect what kind of item it is, determine what
kind of formatting it should be given based on that, and then compensate
for the missing author in the rendering. With <bibl>, it's easy --
encode all the elements in the order they need to come out, and you're done.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)
Half-Baked Software, Inc.
(mholmes at halfbakedsoftware.com)