[tei-council] @calendar should be data.pointer

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 13 09:49:30 EDT 2010

I'd like to draw Council's attention to Feature Request 2994671
http://sn.im/tei-fr&aid=2994671 where I make the suggestion that
the @calendar attribute should be datatype data.pointer in a
similar manner to the @period attribute.

While I still think that is the better solution compared to a
suggested value list of data.enumerated, however, if we decide
not to make @calendar data.pointer my alternative suggestion is
that it should have a much more standardised and certainly larger
list of calendars.  In my comment on the ticket I suggest those
suggested by W3C for XPath date functions which are:
====
Designator Calendar
AD Anno Domini (Christian Era)
AH Anno Hegirae (Muhammedan Era)
AME Mauludi Era (solar years since Mohammed's birth)
AM Anno Mundi (Jewish Calendar)
AP Anno Persici
AS Aji Saka Era (Java)
BE Buddhist Era
CB Cooch Behar Era
CE Common Era
CL Chinese Lunar Era
CS Chula Sakarat Era
EE Ethiopian Era
FE Fasli Era
ISO ISO 8601 calendar
JE Japanese Calendar
KE Khalsa Era (Sikh calendar)
KY Kali Yuga
ME Malabar Era
MS Monarchic Solar Era
NS Nepal Samwat Era
OS Old Style (Julian Calendar)
RS Rattanakosin (Bangkok) Era
SE Saka Era
SH Mohammedan Solar Era (Iran)
SS Saka Samvat
TE Tripurabda Era
VE Vikrama Era
VS Vikrama Samvat Era
====
This is a much more reasonable and internationalised list of
calendars
than our current list. It comes from a little ways down in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions-11/#lang-cal-country

But I still think that data.pointer is a more powerful solution.

-James
--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service
OUCS, University of Oxford