[tei-council] post Dublin ticket update 1

Elena Pierazzo elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
Sat May 8 12:17:00 EDT 2010

Hi all,

> 2925145 (Generic dating class) -- I think we felt this proposal needed
> more work still, but I don't know who if anyone was actioned to take
> it
> forward. There is now an additional though mysterious comment on the
> ticket.

I was chosen to take care of it. Basically we said that we understand
the user case, but we did not like the proposal in itself. By
mysterious comment you mean Syd's one?

> 2859355  (<subst> should permit textual data) -- we spent quite a
> lot of
> time discussing this without I think addressing the real problem with
> this proposal. I've now added a comment to the ticket saying why I
> think
> it's a bad idea and would welcome further discussion.

I have seen your comment and I take your point (which was from the
beginning one of my concerns: one you allow text within <subst> then
you have to allow the world and beyond which make it a close sibling
of <seg>. I don't agree, though, that it is of a limited use: many
people has requested more flexibility into <subst> therefore I think
we should do something.

> On 10-05-06 10:49 AM, Lou wrote:
>>   2909766  (make<del>  and<add>  (etc) dateable) -- I've added a
>> comment
>> asking whether the genetic @stage proposal is going to be
>> sufficient for
>> this use case, or whether we want to support that in parallel with
>> the
>> use of att.datable attributes (actually @stage looks remarkably
>> similar
>> to @period, so maybe the two should be considered together.)
>>
> In broad terms as I understand the genetic proposal, @stage would be a
> theoretically appropriate approach to this... but in practice you
> might
> be just talking about, for example, the hand of a twentieth century
> librarian who put a folio number in the corner: calling that a
> revisions
> stage may seem to many to be de trop. But I'd cede to Elena on this.

Don't forget that for this case there is also a @hand attribute, if
you feel that using a @stage is too much. The use case was for born
digital document and someone wanted to record which correction
belonged to a specific moment/person, for which the use of @stage
pointing to a <stageNote> is more appropriate than allowing datable
attributes for this, as it is also likely that you want to record not
only that a correction happened a t one time, but also that it was
made by someone and why.

> While I like the idea of trying to keep the number of
> distinct-but-semantically-similar attributes and elements to a
> minimum,
> I think in this case that there may be enough of a distinction between
> @stage and @period to keep them distinct. Again, as I understand it, a
> stage is really an event in the revision history of a document rather
> than a period. So while it could time associated with it, its main
> feature is where it falls in the historical sequence of revisions: you
> could have a known stage with an unknown period, for example.
>
> Again, I'd cede to Elena if I'm wrong on this.

Yes, I agree entirely: a stage is something that happened in to the
document at a time that may or not be reconstructible, while a period
represent some way of calling a span of time in which an event may
have occurred: I think we are really speaking of two different things...

Elena

> Daniel Paul O'Donnell
> Professor of English
> University of Lethbridge
>
> Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
> Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of
> America
> President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société
> pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
> Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
> )
>
> Vox: +1 403 329-2377