[tei-council] Virtual language-based TEI Guidelines hosts are live but incomplete

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Sat Mar 20 20:03:29 EDT 2010

Shayne has created virtual hosts by language:

http://en.guidelines.tei-c.org/
http://de.guidelines.tei-c.org/
http://es.guidelines.tei-c.org/
http://fr.guidelines.tei-c.org/
http://it.guidelines.tei-c.org/
http://kr.guidelines.tei-c.org/
http://zh-tw.guidelines.tei-c.org/

He overlooked one for Japanese so I've asked for that.

Please consider and provide feedback on two problems with this system:

1. each of the above URLs currently goes to the top level of the
language documentation release, i.e. one directory above /html. Should
we:

a) make 'html' explicit in all links to the HTML version of the
Guidelines, i.e. for English link to
http://en.guidelines.tei-c.org/html/, or

b) add a rewrite rule so http://en.guidelines.tei-c.org/ ==>
http://en.guidelines.tei-c.org/html/ ?

(one disadvantage of 'b' is that Web crawlers going to the domain might
miss any non-HTML content. Or is that a good thing?)

2) If you're at http://en.guidelines.tei-c.org/html/ and click on any
other language version, the link is broken (because it's generated as a
relative link). Likewise, the alternate language links in the Reference
pages. Are we willing to convert all language-specific links to use the
domain aliases?

Obviously, those problems need solving and other testing should be done
before we can advertise the existence of these virtual hosts. Unless we
want to use those hosts only as a way to get Google to index by
language?

David

--
PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA