[tei-council] app-tei-xml: A profile parameter?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Mar 17 12:08:33 EDT 2010

Hi there,

It looks as though the decision to use "profile" back in 2002 was a
provisional one:

    The functionality afforded by this parameter can also be achieved
    with at least two other more general content description frameworks;
    the "Content-features" MIME header described in RFC 2912, and UAPROF
    from the WAPforum (see http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm).
    At this time, choosing one of these solutions would require excluding
    the other, as interoperability between the two has not been defined.
    For this reason, it is suggested that this parameter be used until
    such time as that issue has been addressed.
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3236.txt>

Does anyone know whether the interoperability between RFC 2912 and
UAPROF was ever resolved?

I do see the value in being able to distinguish between P4 and P5 (and
P6, too, eventually). Are we required to specify a range of values ahead
of time for these profiles, or can anything go in these header fields?