[tei-council] Adding virtual hosts for www.tei-c.org (fwd)

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 9 12:11:31 EST 2010

Council,

We have requested the language-specific host aliases
(en.guidelines.tei-c.org, etc.), and they should be accessible by
tomorrow. However, Shayne points out that unless the hierarchy of the
releases is changed, it won't work to make "en.guidelines.tei-c.org"
resolve to the directory root of

 http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/

because the PDF Guidelines stored at ../Guidelines.pdf are then inaccessible.
(See Shayne's note below.) Shayne proposes as an alternative that
"en.guidelines.tei-c.org" point to the document root

  http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/

which means that the "home page" of the English guidelines as browsable
HTML would be addressed as

  http://en.guidelines.tei-c.org/html/index.html

and we could optionally have a redirect rule so that

  http://en.guidelines.tei-c.org

would go to that page.

I would suggest this: that we accept Shayne's suggestion, and experiment
with the result starting tomorrow (assuming that the DNS aliases are
active by then). Then we could tweak as needed before publicly
announcing the existence of the new hosts.

David