[tei-council] virtual hosts for HTML versions of Guidelines

Laurent Romary laurent.romary at loria.fr
Tue Mar 9 02:16:56 EST 2010

I would support Kevin's proposal. And the point you made about google
is only half true. If I do use words which are "language
independent" (google makes no difference between "reference" and
"référence") I may come across any version of the guidelines;

Since it does not hurt any other functionality and unless someone
shouts loudly in the coming hours, I would suggest that Kevin and
David proceed further with this.

Laurent

Le 8 mars 10 à 18:40, David Sewell a écrit :

> This is not a proposal that has been floated before. It would be
> analogous to Wikipedia's use of domains, I guess (en.wikipedia.org,
> de.wikipedia.org, etc.).
>
> Should I inquire of the UVA IT people whether they impose a limit on
> the
> number of host aliases they are willing to register in the DNS? Beyond
> that it would just be a question of writing virtual host entries in
> the
> Apache configuration. It would be trivially easy to change the
> directories to which those entries point later, if we implement a
> different naming structure.
>
> A counterargument might be that it's not really necessary. I just
> tried
> a Google search for "référence bibliographique" with site:www-tei-
> c.org
> and not surprisingly the French reference for <bibl> was the top hit.
>
> David
>
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, O'Donnell, Dan wrote:
>
>> Is that not part of the work that David and James have been doing
>> regarding stable URLs?
>>
>> -dan
>>
>> Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>> Would anyone oppose me asking the folks at Virginia to investigate
>>> setting up the following virtual hosts:
>>>
>>> en.guidelines.tei-c.org
>>> de.guidelines.tei-c.org
>>> es.guidelines.tei-c.org