[tei-council] a proposal for a change to ODD (copy of ticket I just put in SF)

O'Donnell, Dan daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Mar 8 17:59:41 EST 2010

All good things come to those who wait, James. My knees are calloused
invoking higher powers about a sensible <choice> but your example gives
me hope ;)

-dan

James Cummings wrote:
> Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>> A standalone collection of examples is a nice idea : you could pull in
>> the individual ones you want in your ODD doc by using xInclude.
>>

> I believe *cough* someone *cough* suggested this fervently before our
> meeting in Lyon.  I then restated this in a later email and refer my
> learned colleague to my email to the council list of 2009-04-30.  In it
> I reiterated the idea that having a standalone collection of examples,
> which the Guidelines would then XInclude (or similarly transclude).
> This would allow (amongst many other things) a coordinated method of
> using the same example in multiple places in the Guidelines and ODD
> documentation.  I believe when I stated my reasons for thinking this was
> a good idea, it was indeed my honourable colleagues in Oxford who
> disagreed most vehemently with this suggestion. I am of course heartened
> to see your suggestion and assume that you have now seen the light.
>
> I believe that the current problem could be solved with more rigorous
> ODD processing.  The multi-pass solution I would recommend is testing
> any example in the generated documentation against a schema generated
> from the ODD (but allowing any element as a starting element), much as
> we do in validating ex:egXML. The step that I'm not sure of in how to do
> it is how to capture and feed that information back into the
> transformation to then not include examples which do not validate. This
> would result in the transformation for documentation just not including
> any examples which did not validate against the current schema.  That's
> just a suggestion mind you, I'm certainly not offering to attempt to
> implement it.
>
> -James

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English
University of Lethbridge

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidential)